This guide provides basic instructions for using the most popular features of Canvas.
Table of Contents
Canvas is Temple's newest Learning Management System. Like Blackboard, Canvas delivers course content online and on mobile devices.
- Faculty can upload course materials for their students on Canvas and conduct a variety of classroom activities.
- Students can retrieve and submit assignments; participate in discussion groups, blogs, and wikis; take tests and check grades. In addition, administrative work groups and student organizations can take advantage of Canvas features to organize and share meeting materials.
Note: Instructors have the option of including various features in their Canvas courses. If you do not see a particular feature, confirm that your instructor added it to the course.
- Obtaining an AccessNet account
To access Canvas, you will need an AccessNet account. If you have any questions about your account, please contact the Help Desk.
- Logging in to Canvas
To login directly, go to canvas.temple.edu.
Log in to TUportal. Under TUapplications on the left, select Canvas.
- Accessing your course
In the menu bar on the left, click Dashboard. Then select the course that you want to access.
Note: If you do not see your course in the Dashboard, click the Courses menu. If the course appears, you can add it to your Dashboard by clicking the star to the left of the course so that it becomes orange. If the course does not appear, check with your instructor to see if they have made the course available (published it) to students.
- Customizing Canvas
You can customize how courses appear in the Dashboard by changing the course color or creating a course nickname.
- Customizing Notification Settings
Learn how to customize notifications.
- Display Courses from Previous Semesters
To view a course from a previous semester, click Courses, then All Courses. Next scroll down to Past Enrollments and click on the course that you want to access.