The Help Desk offers a comprehensive session called the Help Desk Clinic (HD Clinic) for computer software problems that cannot be resolved with basic troubleshooting.
Table of Contents
The Help Desk provides basic troubleshooting for personal computers on a walk-in basis. If your problem cannot be resolved after basic troubleshooting, you will be offered a more comprehensive session called the Help Desk Clinic (HD Clinic). The HD Clinic offers the following services:
- virus/malware removal
- system rebuild/restore
- software installation
- data backup
- file/data recovery
- Windows/Mac network setup and configuration
- Mac Boot Camp setup
As an added benefit, the HD Clinic provides the opportunity for students to learn how to repair and maintain their computers.
Use the Request Help tab on the Information Technology Services home page to contact the Help Desk or call 215-204-8000. After an initial consultation, a Help Desk consultant may schedule a HD Clinic appointment. You will then bring in your computer at the appointed time.
- If you are a student, you will work with a Help Desk technical student worker consultant to troubleshoot any issues.
- If you are an employee, you may drop off your computer at the scheduled appointment time.
- All technical student worker consultants are supervised by a full time staff member.
- Currently registered Temple University students with a personally owned computer
- Temple University employees with a personally owned computer that is used for Temple University business
- Have an initial consultation and scheduled appointment
- Back up all data before scheduled appointment
- Bring the computer to the Help Desk at the TECH Center
- Arrive at the start of the scheduled appointment time
- Sign the repair-release legal waiver
- Employees may leave after checking in and completing all forms
- Students must be present for the duration of the scheduled appointment
- Major manufacturers only: Dell, HP, Lenovo, Sony, Toshiba, Microsoft, Acer, Asus, Samsung
- Operating system: Windows 7, 8.1, 10
- RAM: 4 GB or higher
- Mac OS X v10.10 or higher (Yosemite or later)
- RAM: 4GB or higher
If applicable, bring the following items to the appointment:
- all system CDs/DVDs that came with your computer
- power adapters and cords for laptops
Note: If you have a desktop computer, please do not bring your monitor or keyboard, unless requested by the Help Desk.
Information Technology Services is unable to provide technical support for custom-built computers, beyond general instruction support or very general troubleshooting. Software required to connect to our network, such as Aruba Clearpass, are industry leading applications that are tested across the major hardware manufacturer platforms. Custom-built system issues must be addressed by the person or company that assembled the hardware for you.
Note: If you encounter a problem that involves handicap accessibility/accommodation, we will work with Disability Resources to address your specific issue.
The maximum time allotted for an HD Clinic session is three hours. Depending on demand, HD Clinic appointments are available up to two weeks in advance on a first-come first-served basis.
The service is available during scheduled times on a first-come first-served basis. Based on hours of operation and availability of support staff, HD Clinic sessions are generally offered at the following times:
- Monday through Friday: 9:00 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
- Monday through Thursday: 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday: 12:30 p.m.
This service is provided at no charge.