Personalize your @temple.edu email address.
Table of Contents
An alias is a nickname used to personalize your @temple.edu email address. You can have up to five email aliases for your account. Unless it was already in use, an alias of firstname.lastname@example.org was automatically assigned to you when your account was activated (for example,email@example.com).
The alias listed as your display alias is used when sending mail in Blackboard and appears in the Search Results box in the Cherry & White Directory.
An alias appears to be a separate email address but messages are sent to your existing email account. You can use your email alias to log in to TUmail, but you still need to use your AccessNet username to log in to Temple's systems, such TUportal.
Go to the Cherry & White Directory, click Update your entry, and then log in.
Log in to TUportal and click Cherry & White Update.
Type each alias into an Alias box as shown below. Note the following naming requirements:
- must begin and end with a letter of the alphabet (lowercase or uppercase) or a number,
- must contain at least three characters,
- can contain dashes (-) or periods as long as they are not at the beginning or the end of the alias.
- To set an alias as your display email alias, click on the circle to the left of the desired alias. Your display alias is used when sending mail in Blackboard and it appears in the Search Results box in the Cherry & White Directory.
- After editing the alias information, click Submit.
In TUmail, you can change the From address so your outgoing messages appear to be sent from your alias instead of your original email address (for example,firstname.lastname@example.org). Note that this option is available for Gmail users but not Exchange Users.
To set up your TUmail account to send from an alias:
- Log in to your TUmail account.
- Go to the upper-right corner, click the gear icon, and select Settings.
- Under Settings, select the Accounts tab.
- Under Send mail as, click Add another email address you own.
- In the Email address field, enter the alias you created and , such as email@example.com
- Click Next Step > Send Verification. Gmail will send a verification message to your original email address to confirm that you own it.
- Go to TUmail, open the message from the Temple University Team, and click the link in the message to confirm your request.
Note that this option is available for Gmail users but not Exchange Users.
To send from an alias:
- Click Compose.
- Go the the From field, click the drop-down menu, and select the alias. (If the From field does not display, log out of your account and then log back in.)
To reply or forward with an alias:
- Click Reply or Forward.
- Next to the From field, click Change.
- Then, click the From field and select the alias.
- If you access TU Gmail using an email client such as Microsoft Outlook or Apple Mail, you need to change the From address in the client.
- When you subscribe to a Listserv mailing list, you are identified by your From address. If you change your From address, you may not be able to post messages to your lists. In order to post messages, you must use the same From address that you had when you subscribed.