Temple offers two high performance computing Linux environments to provide university researchers sufficient computing power to do their intensive data analysis.
The HPC environment consists of:
- Owl's Nest (owlsnest.hpc.temple.edu)
- Compute (compute.temple.edu)
Use of this environment is restricted to those users with significant computational and/or large data manipulation needs.
The HPC is designed to meet the needs of the following:
- Faculty, staff, graduate and professional students with a current AccessNet account requiring high end computing functionality
- Undergraduate students with faculty sponsorship requiring high end computational functionality
- Authorized guests from other research institutions working in collaboration with university employees
Owl's Nest Cluster
The compiler software includes:
- C, C++, Fortran 77, Fortran 90
Other programming languages and applications available:
- Matlab, Gaussian
Libraries on this system:
- Atlas (BLAS, LAPACK) Open Source Linear Algebra Library
- ScaLAPACK Distributed Linear Algebra Routines
- FFTW-2 Discrete Fourier Transform Library
Programmers need advanced knowledge of the HPC environment in order to properly use this resource. Attendance to specialized training is strongly encouraged for anyone using the HPC cluster. Contact email@example.com for information regarding training.
Programming languages available include:
- To obtain access to either the Owl's Nest cluster or the Compute server, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email indicate what software you intend to use so that your account is enabled properly for the environment.
- To use the Owl's Nest cluster, direct your secure shell software (ssh) client to owlsnest.hpc.temple.edu. See the Central Linux Systems page for details.
- To use the Compute server, direct your secure shell software (ssh) client to compute.temple.edu. See the Central Linux Systems page for details.
Note: If you are trying teach yourself programming languages, try searching the Temple University library for programming manuals and guides. If you are a SAS programmer, you may also find helpful materials at www.sas.com.
Information specific for Owl's Nest is available at www.hpc.temple.edu/owlsnest/OwlsnestUserGuide.html
Central Linux Systems
- Linux Quick Reference Guide Explains how to perform basic tasks on Temple's central Linux systems. Topics include creating files and directories, using the pico editor, printing, using online help, and other topics.
- Quick List of Linux Commands Shows an alphabetical listing of commonly used Linux commands.
- SSH Secure Shell Quick Reference Guide Provides instructions on how obtain and use SSH Secure Shell. This program enables you to log in to your account and to upload and download files.
- Mac Terminal Quick Reference Guide Provides instructions on how use a secure telnet program called Terminal, which comes with the Mac OS, to access your Compute, Owl's Nest, or Astro account.
- FUGU Quick Reference Guide Includes instructions for transferring files between a Macintosh and your Compute, Owl's Nest, or Astro account. You can download a free version of FUGU from Temple's Download web site.
- Uploading your Dreamweaver Files to the Astro Web Server
Note: These documents are in PDF format .
From Linux Prompt
From Mac OS X
From Linux Prompt
From Mac OS X
- Temple AccessNet Account
- Familiarity with Linux
- Use of ssh software (ssh, terminal, fugu, PuTTy)