Office 365 is a subscription service offering the latest version of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. The program offers the Microsoft Suite desktop software for your PC and/or Mac, applications for mobile devices and access to Office Online.
Table of Contents
Office 365 provides students, faculty and staff with access to the latest version of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and more at no charge. The software can be loaded on up to five PCs and Macs, and up to five compatible mobile devices.
This offering is only available to currently enrolled students and current employees (faculty and staff) and is subject to Temple University's participation in this Microsoft program.
Your Office 365 subscription includes the following features:
Microsoft Office for PCs and Macs
Download and install the latest version of Microsoft Office suite on your PC or Mac:
Office 2016 for PCs:
Skype for Business (Please note: Temple currently does not offer Skype for Business services to students.)
Office 2016 for Macs:
System Requirements: Office supports PCs running Windows 7 or higher and Macs with Mac OS X 10.10 or higher. For the full list of requirements, see the Office 365 system requirements page.
For more information and download instructions, visit the Microsoft Office Download section.
1 TB of storage in the cloud to save your documents which you can then access online and on mobile applications. Learn more.
Web-based version of Microsoft Office that allows you to create and edit Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents.
For more information and access instructions, visit the Access Office Online section.
As part of your subscription, you can download Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and OneDrive on your mobile devices to access your documents on the go.
To learn more about Office 365 mobile applications, visit the Access to Office 365 Mobile Applications section.
The Microsoft Office download link and instructions can be accessed via TUportal. You may install the Microsoft Office desktop applications on up to five compatible PCs and Macs.
Please note: Office 365 needs to be connected to the internet at least once every 30 days or it will revert to a read-only mode until user authentication is confirmed.
The Office 365 mobile applications are available for iPads, iPhones, Android Phones and Windows Phones through the respective app stores. Using these applications, you can view and edit your documents saved in your OneDrive library from nearly anywhere while keeping your document's content and formatting intact.
Note: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and OneDrive are all separate applications. To learn more about the options for each device, visit the Office across devices page, scroll down to Want Office on your devices for free? and select your device(s).
During the application setup process, select the Office for Business option and login with your AccessNet username (firstname.lastname@example.org) and password when prompted to do so.
Additional Resources for Office 365 Mobile Applications:
Office Online is an online version of the Microsoft Office suite equipped with the most used features (not the full desktop version). You can create new documents and edit your existing documents saved on OneDrive using these online versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote.
You can access Office Online by logging into portal.office.com with your AccessNet username (email@example.com) and password.
Reminder: Sign out of Office Online when you are using a public web browser. The Sign Out option is in the upper right corner menu.
Should I install Microsoft Office on my computer?
- There is no reason to download Microsoft Office if you currently have Office 2016 for PCs. You can still take advantage of OneDrive, Office Online and the mobile applications. Follow the instructions to Enable OneDrive.
- If you have an older version of Office installed, you may want to download Office 365 for the newer applications.
- Office 2016 for Mac is only available via subscription at this time. You can download 2016 without uninstalling permanent Office 2011 for Mac software.
- Important Note for Faculty and Staff: If you don't have the latest version of Office on your office computer and/or if would like to use OneDrive to store your work files, we recommend that you first consult with your School/College/Departmental IT support staff prior to installation.
What happens when I graduate or leave Temple University?
- Your Office 365 subscription through Temple ends one year after you graduate at which time you can download your files using the OneDrive Desktop App (Sync Client).