Use OWLbox to store, share and collaborate on files.
Table of Contents
OWLbox, powered by box.com, is Temple's convenient resource for storing, sharing and collaborating on files. Instead of storing your files on flash drives and DVDs, store them centrally on OWLbox.
On the OWLbox site, students, faculty, and staff can easily upload files to take advantage of up to 50GB of storage space. Files can then be accessed online from the site from anywhere, including mobile devices.
With OWLbox, you can also:
- Share a Whole Folder of Files
Create a new folder, upload files, then turn it into a workspace by inviting others to edit and collaborate.
- Post Comments and Assign Tasks
Leave comments and feedback in one place.
- Receive Real-Time Updates
Receive notifications whenever someone has viewed, edited or commented on your file.
There is also a mobile version of Box to access OWLbox. For more information, see the Mobile Apps section.
Important Note: Be sure to follow three steps to completely log out when you've finished using OWLbox to protect your information.
- You can invite others to share a folder only if they have logged into OWLbox at least once.
- Files are uploaded into folders so you have to create a folder first before transferring files.
- You can only share folders, not individual files.
- Students get to keep their 50GB of free storage when they graduate!
To learn about OWLbox, see:
- the OWLbox Overview video for a review of what OWLbox offers and how it works*
- the Box User Guide for a quick review of using basic features*
- the Support page for information on specific tasks*
*Note that to access Temple's Box resource, you will go to owlbox.temple.edu.
Uploading Files or Folders
To upload a file or folder, log in to OWLbox, click Upload on the right and then select File or Folder. Follow the prompts to select the file or folder you wish to upload and then click Open. Your files will be uploaded.
You can also create a folder to organize your files by clicking New, on the right, selecting Folder, and then typing in a folder name. To upload files to the folder, click the folder name to open it before you select Upload.
To edit documents, open the file in OWLbox that you wish to edit. Then, toward the top right corner, click Open .. and select how you wish to edit the file from the drop-down box. Your choices include the following:
- If you select the Microsoft <product name> Online option, which includes most features of Office products, your changes are automatically saved as you work.
- If you select the Microsoft <product name> option, you will prompted to install an app so OWLbox can use the office product stored on your computer. Once you install the app, make sure to Save your changes as you work along. Your changes will be saved back to the file stored on OWLbox.
You can also click Download if you wish to download the file to your computer and work locally. Any changes you make will be saved to your computer and not in OWLbox. You can always upload the file again to OWLbox.
See the following OWLbox Tech Bits for more information:
- Consider Your Colleagues by Sharing Work Files
- Work on Group Projects ANYWHERE with Box Notes!
- Share Project Items in Real-Time with Box Notes
- Edit Documents with OWLbox
- Need to Have a Document Reviewed? Assign it in OWLbox
Additional videos are on the box Channel on YouTube.
Box Mobile Apps allow you to view your documents, share content and exchange feedback on the go.
Box Notes allows is a document creation tool built into OWLbox that allows you to brainstorm, take notes and work with a group in real-time. You can also use Box Notes for personal notes and lists.
Here’s how to get started:
- Box Note Overview
- How to create a Box Note
- How to edit a Box Note
- How to share a Box Note
- FAQs about Box Notes
Note: If you are sharing a Box Note, you must create it in the folder that is being shared with other collaborators. You can create a Box Note for personal use without placing it in a folder, but you will not be able to share it with anyone unless you move it to a shared folder.
If your AccessNet account is about to expire, Computer Services will migrate your OWLbox account to a personal account on Box.com. Although your account will no longer be affiliated with Temple, your existing files (and 50GB of free storage) will still be available to you.